Eligibility requirements

  • Only Canadian citizens are eligible to receive CLIC support.
  • Students may only receive CLIC support for one summer program throughout their academic career.
  • Only students from CLIC member universities are eligible to receive CLIC support.
  • You must be a full time student at the time of your China Scholarship Council application submission deadline.
  • If you are already receiving a scholarship from the China Scholarship Council, you will not be eligible to receive CLIC financial support.

How to Apply

Once you’ve chosen a program of study in China, setting it up is a four-step process:

Step 1: Apply to your program of choice at your home university

Step 2: Apply to the Chinese Scholarship Council

Step 3: Register with your host university

Step 4: Apply for a Chinese visa

Apply to your program

Application for a CLIC-approved program starts with your home university’s education abroad department. Use our Program Finder to find the programs that are offered through your home university and which one is right for you.

Below are links to the study abroad sites hosted by CLIC’s nine member universities. Please see our Contact Us page to find the CLIC Liaison at your university.

Currently only students enrolled in one of our nine member universities are eligible for CLIC programs. Once your university approves your application, you automatically qualify for CLIC support! Your next step is to Apply to the Chinese Scholarship Council (so that you can receive your funds).

Apply to the China Scholarship Council

DOWNLOAD AND FOLLOW THE CLIC CSC APPLICATION GUIDE CAREFULLY. Mistakes in your application may lead to it being rejected. 

Please use the name on your passport for all CLIC related applications and communications.

Application deadlines: March 6th for Summer and Fall semester programs. October 10th for Winter semester programs.

Applying to the CSC is really more like a registration so that you may receive your funding for CLIC.

Since CLIC has been specially approved by the Chinese Ministry of Education, CLIC students are not required to print the applications or mail a hard copy of the application package to the Education Office, Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Canada. Instead, you can proceed to arranging your Chinese study visa.

If you are having problems with your CSC application, the answer to your problem may be found on Just search for CSC Scholarships with the year you are applying (e.g. 2016 CSC Scholarships). Otherwise, please feel free to contact the CLIC office at

Register with your host university

Some programs will require you to apply to the Chinese host university. Others simply require a nomination by the CLIC office.

Check the Program Specific Eligibility Requirement in the Program Finder to find out whether your program requires a separate application.

CLIC support includes an application fee waiver.

  • Please do not pay an application fee to your host university.
  • If you pay the application fee, you will not be reimbursed.
  • If your host university asks you to pay an application fee, please contact the CLIC office at and we will help you get the waiver as soon as possible.

Visa Information

In order to study in China, you’ll a need a visa. As a CLIC recipient you will receive a JW201 form along with your admission notice from your host university to submit to your nearest Chinese visa office for a X1 (over 180 days) or X2 (under 180 days) visa.

Visa Application Tips:

  • Applications cannot be made more than three months before the date of departure. The time it takes to process your visa application depends on how you submit it:
    – 2 days: in person rush service
    – 4 days: in person regular service
    – 10 days: postal service
  • The Chinese embassy requires detailed information about you and your trip. Make sure you have enough time to gather all the necessary details.
  • The consulate website has a step-by-step guide to help with the process and an online application form that can be filled out (under Quick Access in the home page).
  • For more information on the visa application process, requirements, and online applications, visit
Contact us if you have any questions
Yes No